Brian and I had decided that we were not going to go to Canada this summer b/c of the gas prices. But realizing that the prices were going down made us thing again. Long story short, plans changed for this weekend and opened up a week where I didn’t have any dire commitments. Brian suggested Logan and I come up here to Grand Manan Island b/c I have so been longing to be here. I usually come up here once during the summer. So I have been very excited that I am able to be in the place that I always long to be. Brian wanted to come but decided it would be wisest to take the long weekend and redo the walls in the kitchen.
We left at 12pm on Friday and arrived in Portland, Maine at 4pm. It was good to see Mrs. Johnson who is a family friend. My parents met her on Grand Manan Island in New Brunswick, Canada many years ago from church. She is 94 years old now. We usually stop and see her on the way up to Canada.
Logan cried for an hour when I put him down for bed that night in Portland, I helped him twice in that hour to calm down. He finally fell asleep until 4am when he decided to wake up and scream a lot. So I brought him in bed with me (we shared a room). He wanted to roam all over the place. I wanted to say goodbye to Mrs Johnson or I would have left by about 5:30am. I fed Logan very early and packed the car and was on the road by 6:30am; I had planned on being on the road at 8am, so an hour and a half ahead of schedule.
In the rest areas Logan was scared by the hand dryers and the flushing of the high powered toilets. But overall he did very well. We strapped the laptop to the passenger side back seat and so he watched some of his Baby Einstein and Signing Time videos.
One of the roads we traveled on is a 2 hour stretch of pretty rural terrain (the Airline or Route 9 for those of you who know the area). On the Airline there were American flags lining the street on every other telephone pole for about 20 mins, I assumed it was due to Labor Day weekend.
I would stop when Logan became fussy. We stopped at a rest area on the Airline where Logan played in a stream and got all wet and muddy. Meanwhile the black flies came out and had a feast on us. Logan had blood running down his head b/c one bit him.
I was aiming for the 3:30pm ferry to the island. I wasn’t sure how things would go crossing the boarder into Canada, but I had no problem, it went really quick. The boarder guard asked me if I would be leaving anything in Canada, I said “just dirty diapers”, he had to hold back a laugh.
After I crossed the boarder into Canada I looked at the clock and it was 1 hour until the ferry left, it takes a little under 1 hour to get to the ferry, so instead of stopping at the store as I had originally planned, I decided to try and make the ferry, knowing that I may miss it by a few minutes or just catch it, so I was taking a risk. I only had to wait about 5 minutes and was then loaded on the ferry. The tourists in vehicles in front of me were running to their cars b/c they didn’t realize that the ferry was going to load shortly. It was kind of humerous.
When we got to my friend Danita’s, Logan first took a liking to their cat, but the cat didn’t like Logan as much. Logan got a bit too friendly with his “friendly pats” and the cat scratched him, his nail poked the skin. I thought Logan would have cried, but he only put out his lower lip and wasn’t sure what to do. I hugged him and talked to him, he then went right back to the cat, but the cat has stayed away from him since then.
Today Logan and I ate black berries off bushed in the yard. He did well picking them on his own. We both had berries smeared on our face and hands and shirts. Oh but the berries were so good. It brought me back to my childhood of eating black berries on Grand Manan.
Danita and her husband have a trampoline in their yard, I put Logan on it today and he loved it.
Danita, Logan and I went on an hour long walk pushing Logan in the stroller and Logan slept about half an hour of the time. He is catching up on his sleep since we have come here.
We brought the laptop with the webcam so that Brian and Logan can see each other. But I forgot to call Brian before Logan went to bed, I had called him earlier today and he wasn’t home. Brian is working on redoing the walls in the kitchen while we are gone; he could never have done this when we were there, so much for Logan to get into.
No comments:
Post a Comment