I have had some requests to write some details about my diapering experience, so if you are not interested in this subject then please wait till I post something else in the future.
I have found that after a 2 day of doing cloth diapering that Logan continues to get a really bad rash, large areas of red with some pimpling. I had thought it might be something he had eaten, or maybe teething, or maybe the laundry soap I was using . . . but when this pattern keeps happening for about 5 cycles it makes me suspicious that it's something else (just when I would get it cleared up with the 7th generation disposable I would then go back to cloth and the rash would come back after 2 days). So the next and LAST issue I am going to tackle to make this work is to see if I need something to wick the moisture away from his skin. I ordered some fleece diaper liners and I am waiting for them to arrive at my house (online order from Maine Diapering company). The fleece liners were harder to find than I expected.
I bought some hemp liners from Peacock Organics (a local natural Mom's store) and I have to wash them 5 - 7 times before use. I found out that I can't use laundry soap with enzymens, so I then had to find out if the soap had enzymes. It has been a lot of little details that I was not expecting lately.
So I feel I am going to just make a last ditch effort to make the cloth diapering work. I had hoped to cut cost on diapering, but dealing with a bad rash is not something that I feel is healthy for Logan if it can be avoided. I get the 7th generation disposable diapers (chlorine free diapers cut down on rash and are more friendly to the environment) off of Amazon.com for about $7.50 a package compared to $13 per package at any of the local stores. I had to sign up for a subscription on Amazon and they automatically ship the diapers to me monthly.
2 comments:
My mom has stories of how she had to double rinse my diapers or I would get a bad rash. She had to stop the washer and re-do the rinse cycle. (which explains why she insists on having a washer with the option for a second rinse...) Have you tried that?
Yes I have tried that also, hasn't helped. Good idea though, it makes sense. I actually have been doing a cold rinse first, then a warm wash, then another rinse.
Post a Comment