Sunday, March 23, 2008

Diapering

I did my first load of cloth diapers yesterday. There are different opinions on how to wash them, some versions take a lot of water (pre rinse in cold, wash in warm, then an extra rinse). I don't like using a lot of water, but I want them to be clean also. It makes me wonder is I am now using more water and paying for more electricity as opposed to putting diapers in the landfill. I did one year of putting diapers in the land fill, now we will use up a lot of water if we do the cloth diapers, so effecting both issues.

I went to a diaper swap yesterday (like a diaper tag sale). One woman had large all-in-one cloth diapers for $2 each (new about $18 each), so I bought 5 of them. I am in the midst of washing them now.

Logan had a bit of a rash today which I am wondering if it's from the cloth diapering. I don't like that part. I also don't like how he smells like pee now. The goopy poopy is not fun either, but that doesn't happen a lot. I do like that I am not throwing out so much trash and that it is easier than I realized. I am still not sure what to do, there are pro's and con's for both. So I will continue to pray for direction on this.

1 comment:

Mikayla's Mama said...

I just cold rinse, then hot heavy wash with CHARLIE's SOAP (That might make the difference in smell). The hot cycle on my washer has a cold rinse. I don't do an extra rinse. The diapers do have a certain smell when peed on, but it doesn't smell like pee to me, just like the fabric is wet. Maybe a little pee smell...if you want to get that smell off of him between diaper changes and the wipes just aren't doing it, try cloth wipes(I use baby washcloths)wtih a diaper spray wash from California Baby. It's got a nice herbal smell. You spray it on (Mikayla sometimes doesn't like that part so sometimes I spray it on the cloth first)and pat it dry so it's also good if there's a diaper rash because you don't have to rub. And remember, water is a much more renewable source than putting diapers in the land fill - I've read they take something like 500 years to biodegrade...