Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Cloth Diapering Continued

So here are more details of my cloth diapering days, for those that are interested . . . Logan got a big rash (never seen this on him before, about a 2 inch circle of red that ended up being bit raised), I found this interesting b/c cloth diapering is supposed to cut down on rashes. I noticed it Sunday and it is clearing up ok. I found out I can't use normal diaper rash ointment with the cloth diapers b/c it will cut down on the absorbency of the diaper. So I used disposables a few times, until my friend Diane (the one that I am borrowing the cloth diapers from) gave me a home made recipe (apricot oil, tea tree oil, vit E), this can be used with the cloth diapers. I now wonder if maybe it was b/c some of the diapers were stored in a plastic bag for a few days and then I used them.

On Sunday found a little purple mark near Logan's hip. I think one of the snappie teeth must have left a mark on him. Instead of pins we are using "snappies", this is a gadget that is shaped like a capitol T and has teeth at the 3 ends of the T, the side parts go on the side of the diaper, the bottom of the T goes in the middle to pull it all together. When fit correctly they are great.

Last night I tried one of the all in one diapers I bought from the diaper swap. At 1am he woke up crying, I went into check his diaper and he had peed through it, through his outfit and onto the bed. So I woke Brian up to change the sheets and I changed his outfit and diaper. So Logan may not be big enough for the diaper yet, or it may just not be one to use overnight, or it may just not work well. The tri-fold ones with the vinyl cover does a good job over night of keeping messes in the cover and not on this cloths. I realized that I have to wash Logan's sheets every 3 days or so b/c he pees through the 7th generation disposable diapers. So washing a smaller piece of cloth is nicer. Well it took 2 hrs to get Logan back to sleep, he is teething and is only wanting to sleep when held, so it was a bumpy night. I am going to bed early to make up for lost sleep.

Logan had a blow out in the disposable this weekend and I found myself still having to clean his outfit the same way I would have if it were a poopy cloth diaper. My friend Crystal suggested using corn starch on a clean diaper to help the poop not to stick. He hasn't pooped yet, so I haven't seen it in action, even thought I am putting the corn starch there.

The reason I have been very conscious of the water situation is b/c when we received our last water bill the water company said we were in a drought and to conserve water by cutting down on laundry and showers, etc. I am assuming we are out of that now. But it made me realize why I was so conscious of the water issue.

I am waiting for Peacock Organics (a local natural mothering store in Groton) to call me when the covers come in that have velco. I think we are going to go ahead and do the cloth diapering primarily if the covers work the way I am hoping. I have to clean up all the diapers I have borrow and get them back to my friend who is moving next week.

Another detail I like about the cloth diapering is that I can now not have to waste a diaper when it is not full, and when I need to change him before we go out, or before he goes to bed. I had felt like I was flying through disposable diapers. I realize I change Logan about 8 times a day.

3 comments:

gibsonfam said...

Interesting commentary on your cloth diapering experience so far. I'll keep reading about your thoughts as you continue. I'm still considering it, but we would need our washer/dryer repaired or replaced first so I'm not sure when that'll happen.

Mary said...

I remember a friend who did the cloth diapering thing and she rinsed her diapers in the toilet. With poop she'd hold it tightly and flush and rinse away. Not sure if that's common practice but wanted to share.

John Umland said...

Yes, flushing the "solids" is a great idea. Also, I found that if any bit of the diaper was sticking out of the waterproof cover, the baby's clothing would wick the wetness right up. Meaning wet clothes!--Karla