This campground has many seasonal camping spots and a good number of spots for those of us weekend visitors. We were the only pop-up there, last time there were many pop-up’s. Another couple tented near us, but besides that everyone was in large, nice campers. A family camping group was having a get together this weekend, so there were about 8 huge campers in a row. Logan made himself at home in among the group b/c of the dogs they had, we would walk by and many of the people in the group would say hi to Logan and he would walk right over to the group like they were all there to see him, it cracked me up. Logan loved to play with their dogs and became fast friends with a sheep dog named Squire who would run up to Logan with a ball each time we passed. It was neat to see this group rotate from camper to camper to share meals, they were very friendly.
Squire waiting for Logan to throw the balls.
When we first got there Logan ran off down a path into the woods and frolicked in a poison ivy patch. So we trekked back and I found that for 25 cents you can get a warm shower, we washed off our legs to get rid of all the oils. Neither of us has come down with poison ivy yet, and I don’t think we will.
Brian took Friday off so we had plenty of time to get set up and settle in. Mike, Kim and Mikayla Lebron came over to visit us Friday evening b/c they live nearby. Logan likes to call Mikayla "Ka-Kie" and he was very excited that she came to play; they chased each other in circles around a tree. We kept him up later than normal so that he'd be tired and go right to sleep; he fell asleep at 8pm when he usually is in bed at about 6:30pm.
We hoped that the potential tropical storm that was foretasted would not hit us, it seemed to have passed the night before. But we still got the rain, hail, lightening and thunder, which Logan slept well through. When the storm stopped at 4am he then woke up, I guess he needed the background noise. So I tried to keep him quiet to not disturb everyone. So for a few hours he and I had some bonding/cuddling time where he sang to me and poked at me. We had him sleep on our bed eventually. Brian and I were sleeping on the large bed that Brian had temporarily fixed to allow us to use. We had just all settled in when the bed shifted and scared us. I asked Brian what that was and he was half asleep so he said "it's a bear, go back to sleep", like I could go back to sleep if a bear was rocking our pop-up. It happened again a minute later, at that point Brian then realized what it was and looked to verify that the bed had shifted to much for us to sleep on. Brian could have ended up falling on the ground; we are thankful he didn’t. We all slept on the bed that is a bit wider than a twin b/c Logan wanted us both right there with him.
On Saturday we tried to get Logan to take a nap. Since we were all tired we all tried to take a nap together. Logan kept giving Brian these huge smiles showing him he was extremely happy that we were both there with him. At one point Logan got up and was exploring the full sized bed on the good side of the camper; unfortunately the fasteners weren’t fastened and so when Logan jumped on the edge of the bed it was too loose and he fell out of the camper onto the ground outside (something I have dreaded happening). Brian and I went flying out of the camper to check on him, he cried a bit, landed on his feet and had a few scrapes but was fine overall. Again we are thankful that Logan was not hurt badly.
Since the falling out of the camper happened after about 1 ½ hours of trying to get him to sleep, we decided to forget the nap thing and went to Buttonwoods Farm in Griswold (about 20 minutes away). They have great ice cream. I had peanut butter ice cream that was yummy. Brian and Logan had chocolate. We went on the hayride that went through a cow field and then into the sunflower field.
Every time the tractor stopped Logan wanted to get out and run. When we were looking at the cows that were right up at the tractor pull we were on, Logan wanted to get out and run among the cows. All the proceeds of the tractor rides go to “Make a Wish Foundation” for kids who are fighting life-threatening medical conditions.
Saturday night brought another rain storm. Logan fell asleep on the full sized bed that Brian and I were going to sleep on, so I slept with Logan and Brian slept in the twin bed that had a child gate up so he wouldn’t roll out, just in case (joking). When I was sleeping a little hand grabbed my nose and squeezed, he was doing this in his sleep, he also was petting my face in his sleep; needless to say I didn't sleep well that night. But the bed stayed in tact and no one fell out of bed, so we survived another night. I actually enjoyed attempting to sleep in the rain snuggled up next to Logan despite the fact that he is an active sleeper.
The water shoes we had Logan wear gave him blisters on his feet, and he got all his other shoes wet, so he ended up going bear foot a lot. On Saturday we went to Walmart and bought him some black boots which he loved to wear.
I wanted something on his blisters though, so I was very happy to find Curious George Band-Aids at Target, they saved the day. That night Logan was happy to have George on his feet. He kept putting his feet near his face and going “oooo aaa aaa” like a monkey. Silly kid.
It was nice to have time at night, once Logan was asleep, to hang out with my best friend (Brian) and make smores over the fire. During the day Logan was pretty much constantly walking around and we took turns trailing after him. It is nice that Brian takes over the cooking over the open fire when we camp; he does a good job making the bacon and eggs and then kielbasa, onions and green peppers for supper.
When we got home in time for Logan's nap time he slept 3 hours, I was able to get a much needed long nap in also. Meanwhile Brian was struggling with getting the pop-up to collapse; the crank that allowed it to go down had broken. Someone at the campground had the right part to allow Brian to hand crank it. So Brian has a lot of work to do in order to get the pop-up back up and running for next year, which is his goal.
To see more pictures go to http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=144271&id=635725920&l=f4f26f8a12
No comments:
Post a Comment