Tuesday, September 9, 2008

18 month "well" visit to Dr. Ruth

We went to Logan's doctor yesterday for a "well" visit, just to check his weight and height and get shots. He is now 32.5 inches (1.5 inches taller than at 15 months). He weighs 23 lbs 6 oz, which is the same as his last appointment, so this was a bit of a concern; we have an appt in 3 months to do a weight check. He is so active and into everything that Dr Ruth thinks that's the reason he hasn't gained weight, b/c I do feed him, I really do. He is in the 5oth percentile (average for his age) in height, weight and head size. The concern with Lyme Disease from the 3 tick bites has passed, so hopefully he won't get any more tick bites. I had forgotten that the disease can't be transmitted unless the tick is attached for 48 hrs, so we just have to make sure to check him a lot.

Dr Ruth said he is very healthy and usually this age has a hard time at the doctors, she felt he did excellent with all the poking and prodding she had to do. He was a bit fussy and looking at her like "why are you touching me", then he looks at me like "Mommy what is this lady doing looking in my ears". She suggested I buy him a doctors kit to play with. She also suggested I take him to the dentist at 2 years, I had been hearing at 1 year, so glad I have some time for him to get older. I need to try and find a good pediatric dentist.

He had the Hep A shot, which they are recommending for all kids, and the flu shot. I tell him ahead of time that little bees are coming to visit him, and I go "buzz buzz" and poke his leg where they will give him the shot. I'm not sure if this helps prepare him or not. He cries initially at the shots, but is ok within 30 seconds. He was up and tearing around as soon as he could.

No comments: