Monday, June 23, 2008

Camping

Brian, Logan and I went camping this weekend. We chose to go to Deer Haven in Lisbon CT because our friends invited us to celebrate their daughter turning one year old. With Logan’s schedule the timing of the party and the ½ hr is takes to get there would have had us arrive very late, which could have worked, but we thought it would be fun to get our pop-up camper ready and use it this season. We have had this pop-up for 2 seasons and it needs some repairs, so we have held off on using it and procrastinated on the repairs. But Brian was able to temporarily fix some of the bugs so we could use it this weekend. I found it different to have power while camping, I am used to tent camping with no electricity.

We got there on Friday at 3pm in time to set up and then attempt to put Logan to bed at his 5:30pm time. He wasn’t having it, he ended up falling asleep at 6:45pm, which is fine. But then he woke at 12am and was rustling around, I thought he had fallen back to sleep by 12:30am and b/c I was freezing I went to put a blanket on him assuming he was freezing too. Well he wasn’t asleep, he popped his head up and saw me and started to cry. I really didn’t want to be those people with a crying kid that wakes up everyone around us. So I held him, sang, and bouncing him for 2 ½ hrs. He was so fighting sleep, he would yawn and rub his eyes and fall asleep on my shoulder and then jar himself awake by throwing his head up. I had forgot that went we go to help him in the middle of the night that he wants to play and will fight sleep. So he finally gave in and fell asleep in my arms at 3am. He then woke at 6:30am.

We found out that the people 2 spots away from us didn’t hear him, they were the closest to us, it was not a busy weekend. So we knew this gave us more freedom to let Logan cry himself to sleep. From there on he only cried a few mins and went to sleep at his naps and bedtime and slept really well, partly from sheer exhaustion.

He slept 1 ½ hrs for his morning nap on Saturday, and then 2 hours in the afternoon, he has never done that. He went to bed at 6:30pm and slept straight through like a log until 6am. Yippee.

Since the campground wasn’t that busy he had a lot of space to roam, he walked around our section of the campground a lot, with us following him of course. I think he loved being outside so much and being able to walk for long stretches.

He has started to be shy in some circumstances. If he is familiar with a place he is fine and social, but in a new environment he hides behind my legs or nestles up to me. He just seems unsure and wants to evaluate near me and see how I respond. I have heard of this happening in many kids at this age, but find it interesting to see it actually happening.

Brian and Logan swam in the pond, we saw a snapping turtle in the stream next to our campsite, we didn’t get eaten alive my mosquitoes b/c of the great bug spray I bought (by Jason, an all natural bug spray).

We had a great time hanging out and being entertained by Logan. We relaxed in the hammock.

Logan’s two most favorite signs are “dog” and “bird”, well most everyone had a dog and there were lots of birds there, so Logan was signing a lot. We would walk by one campsite and without us even saying anything about the dogs and the dogs out of site he would still sign dog.

He figured out how to open a normal sized door with a handle that you push down and then pull the door open; we were in the lodge waiting for the heavy rain to pass on Sunday and Logan wanted to get into the store part of the lodge, I didn’t think he would open the door, but to my surprise he did.

You can see pictures at this link
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=58478&l=01723&id=635725920



No comments: